Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Spice Rubbed Lamb Kabobs

The recipe I wanted to use for these kabobs called for a spice called Za' atar which I couldn't find anywhere.  I did find out that it contained sumac, sesame seeds, thyme and oregano.  I created my own spice rub with toasted sesame seeds, dried thyme, dried oregano, chili powder, and onion powder.  I sprinkled this mixture over the kabob meat and let them marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.  I drizzled the seasoned meat cubes with some olive oil and tossed them around to coat all over with the spices and olive oil before skewering.  They went on a medium-high grill for a couple of minutes on each side for perfectly grilled lamb cubes.

I served these with brown rice and a side of Broccoli Slaw Mix which I sauteed in coconut oil.



Spice Rubbed Lamb Kabobs
Makes 4 servings

1 pound pastured lamb kabob meat (I used boneless lamb sirloin, cut in bite-size pieces)
Juice and zest of one lemon
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Olive Oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Fresh oregano, chopped (optional)

In a coffee grinder or with a mortar and pestle grind or pulverize the sesame seeds.  In a small bowl, combine the ground sesame seeds, thyme, oregano, chili powder, onion powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Place the lamb cubes in a glass casserole and sprinkle over the lemon juice, zest and dry seasoning mixture.  Toss to evenly coat spices and allow to marinate at room temperature for about 30 minutes.  Drizzle with a little olive oil and toss again to evenly coat with spices and oil and sprinkle with black pepper.

Thread meat cubes on skewers and grill on medium-high for 7-10 minutes until charred on all sides.  Remove from grill and season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Garnish with freshly chopped oregano, if desired.


Adapted from My Living Nutrition

Our rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment