Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Thursday Fish and Chips


I was watching a Barefoot Contessa episode where she made Fish and Chips and it sounded perfect for dinner. I made the tartar sauce first which started with mayonnaise, chopped cornichons, Champagne vinegar, capers, stone-ground mustard, and salt and pepper all blended together in a mini food processor. I divided the tartar sauce into serving bowls and set it in the refrigerator.

I then made the batter for the fish by combining flour, baking powder, grated lemon zest, and cayenne pepper. I whisked in some water and then an egg until all was combined. The fish was cut into serving size pieces and seasoned with salt and pepper before being dipped in the batter and fried in 1/2-inch of hot vegetable oil until golden brown.

The side dish was chips which were big, fat wedges of unpeeled russet potatoes, which were drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper, some chopped fresh rosemary and garlic and baked in a hot oven for a little over a half hour, until nice and golden and crispy (I did flip them about half way through the baking time).

I added a couple of lemon wedges to each plate and we were good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment