Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Shrimp and Scallop Lasagna

I decided to do a test of a seafood lasagna I was thinking of doing for Christmas and Gerry and I both loved it. I think it will make it to the dinner table along with a traditional meat lasagna. I found this recipe on the Food Network website and since it serves 8 people, I cut it in half for a test run.

I cooked 6 lasagna noodles in boiling water as usual. Meanwhile I melted some butter in a skillet and cooked 1/2 of a small onion, chopped, until soft over low heat. I added 1 minced clove of garlic and cooked for a minute. Some flour was whisked in and then some half and half was added gradually, allowing the sauce to thicken slightly before adding more half and half. When all of the half and half was added, the sauce was allowed to cook until it was the consistency of heavy cream. Once thickened, some grated Pecorino Romano cheese was stirred in along with salt and pepper to taste. Some halved sea scallops were added to the sauce for 3 minutes, and then some shrimp joined the party for another 2 minutes, until they turned pink.

A little sauce from the skillet went on the bottom of the casserole pan and topped with a layer of lasagna noodles. A third of the sauce topped the noodles along with half of the scallops and shrimp. This process was repeated one more time and finally the casserole got the last layer of lasagna noodles and the rest of the sauce. A nice sprinkling of Parmesan cheese topped all before going into a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes. The baked lasagna was allowed to rest for 10 minutes before cutting into serving size pieces.

I served this with a green salad consisting of romaine lettuce, scallions, and cucumber. This was all topped with our Best Salad Dressing in the World.

No comments:

Post a Comment