Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Family Comfort Meal

Tonight not only were Zeb and Melissa here, but Val came by also with Emma and Ethan. I made my homemade Baked Macaroni and Cheese with a side of peas.

I brought a big pot of water to a boil for the elbow macaroni. While waiting for the water, I melted butter in a pot and added an equal amount of flour along with salt and pepper. I stirred until dissolved and kept stirring until the flour was bubbling and continued cooking for 1 minute. Some milk was stirred in and stirred continuously until boiling; and simmered for another minute. Lots of freshly grated cheddar cheese was added and stirred until melted.

The cooked pasta was added and stirred until well combined. The entire mixture went into a shallow casserole, topped with more shredded cheddar, and popped in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes until hot and golden brown on top.

I always serve this with a side of frozen green beans, cooked until just tender.

This is a meal that the girls grew up with and was requested at birthday times year after year. We still can't get Emma to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment