Friday, August 5, 2011

Catching Up

On Saturday we had a 50th birthday party to attend. It was a fun evening filled with catching up with old friends and lots of good food. We didn't stay too late since we were heading out early Sunday morning for a little vacation with the kids.

We went to Port Aransas and spent a few days on the beach. Port Aransas has miles of beach with wonderfully warm water. Stephanie and David found a house with 5 bedrooms for rent which was perfect for all of us. It had a huge open floor plan for the kitchen, family room and dining area. Val and Jason took one of the bedrooms which had a queen size bed and bunk beds with still enough room to set up the portable crib for Ethan. Gerry and I ended up in a separate area (almost like an in-law apartment) in the front of the unit that had it's own little kitchen with a hot plate which was all we needed to make our coffee in the morning before joining all the kids.

We made breakfast every day at the house and came back from the beach for lunch which was simple sandwiches. We went out to dinner every night which worked out quite well.

Gerry and I picked up Zeb and Andrew and went a day earlier so we could get an extra day on the beach. For dinner we went to a restaurant called Pelican's Landing which was highly recommended. The dish that was recommended happened to be available Sunday ngiht and it was absolutely superb! A bacon wrapped Ahi tuna steak, sprinkled with black and white sesame seeds, seared to rare and drizzled with a balsamic reduction. It sounds a little strange but it was the best tuna I have ever had. It was served with mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus. We started with a salad and it was the best meal we had the entire trip.

Once we all got settled in the house on Monday we ended up at the Trout Street Bar and Grill for dinner and it was quite good. It was on the water with wonderful water views and the food was very good.

We divided up on Tuesday with the men playing golf and the rest of us enjoying the morning on the beach. Once we went to the house for lunch, Emma showered the sand off at the outdoor shower and decided she was done with the beach for the day. Gerry and Jason stayed at the house in the afternoon with Emma and Ethan while the rest of us headed back to the beach. Gerry and Emma went swimming in the pool while Jason took are of Ethan. We ended our day at the Crazy Cajun for dinner which was okay.

On Wednesday, David and Gerry played another round of golf in the morning while the rest of us headed to the beach. Jason and Emma flew a kite and dug in the sand a little. Emma was all about being in the water and Ethan was finally interested in touching the water and sand. It was a great morning spent on the beach and once again when we went back for lunch, Emma decided she was done with the beach for the day. Andrew stayed at the house with the kids, while Jason took a nap trying to get over a headache. The rest of us enjoyed another afternoon at the beach. Gerry and I stayed with the grandkids that night for dinner and ordered pizza in, while the kids went out to dinner. They went back to Pelican's Landing but unfortunately they did not have the house special tuna that night. They all ordered off the regular menu and enjoyed their dinner. Of course, Gerry and I believe we had the best time of all being with our grandchildren.

Thursday was pack up and drive home day. Even though Port Aransas is in Texas, we left there at 9:30 and got to our house at 5:45. It was a long day of driving but we really loved it. We're all looking forward to going again, but for a longer time next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment