Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Halibut and Maque Choux


I started tonight's dinner with the Maque Choux which was originally introduced by local Indians and has evolved into a spicy New Orleans creamed corn dish. I sauteed slivered onion and crushed garlic in olive oil for a couple of minutes. I then added fresh corn kernels, fresh green beans that had been blanched for a couple of minutes, and frozen lima beans and cooked for another couple of minutes. I stirred in chopped fresh tomatoes, a little white wine, a little heavy cream, brown sugar and some Tabasco. I brought it to a boil and simmered for a few minutes until the cream thickened and seasoned with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.

Meanwhile I seasoned two halibut fillets with salt, pepper and Old Bay seasoning and sauteed them in olive oil for 4 minutes per side.

I served this over a Buttermilk Cheddar Polenta which I made by bringing to a boil some buttermilk, chicken broth and butter and whisking in some cornmeal until smooth. I then allowed it to cook gently, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until thick and smooth. I added some shredded Cheddar cheese and seasoned with salt and pepper.

Each plate started with some of the Polenta, topped with a halibut fillet and smothered with the maque choux.

Gerry and I agree:

No comments:

Post a Comment