Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Tofu Scramble

I turned to breakfast for inspiration for Thursday's vegan dinner. I had some leftover tofu that I needed to use up and so I thought a tofu scramble would be the perfect use for it. I broke the tofu into pieces with a fork and sauteed it with chopped onions, and red and green peppers. I then added a little bit of Earth Balance (butter replacement) along with some salt, pepper, garlic powder and turmeric. The turmeric helps to add the yellow color or eggs in addition to adding some flavor. It really resembles scrambled eggs. I also served some vegan sausage links and pumpernickel toast.

The perfect vegan breakfast for dinner.

My menu for the day:

Breakfast: Toast with peanut butter and banana
Lunch: Sunshine Burger (vegan burger) on a whole wheat bun with ketchup
Dinner: Tofu Scramble, Vegan Sausage Links, Pumpernickel Toast


Tofu Scramble
Adapted from Vegetarian.about.com

1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/4 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 greem bell pepper, diced
1 block tofu, drained and pressed
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons butter substitute
1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)

Slice the tofu into approximately one inch cubes. Then, using either your hands or a fork, crumble it slightly.

Saute onion, pepper and crumbled tofu in oil for 3-5 minutes, stirring often. Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat to medium and allow to cook 5-7 more minutes, stirring frequently and adding more oil if needed.

My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment