Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Waimea Canyon by Car

On Friday, we toured the Waimea Canyon by car. We had seen it from our boat tour and by our helicopter tour and so we also needed to see it by car. We had all three views; by sea, by air and by land. It was just as spectacular from all three views. The highest point is just over 5,000 feet and the views were awesome.



It was a great way to finish the tour of the canyon. It took us about an hour to get to the highest point with many spots to pull over for the scenic viewpoints. The canyon is awesome with its stark mountains and very green valleys. There are also seven different waterfalls helping to provide the green and lush areas in the valleys.



As we started our trek to the canyon, we stopped by Spouting Horn which is an area where waves force air out of an opening in a lava tube producing strange sounds while spray is forced out of another opening close by. It is a very memorable sound compounded with the wave splashing up. It is just another thing I have never seen before.



We returned to the resort for an hour of beach time before getting ready for dinner. We went to an Italian restaurant called Pomodoro which had wonderful Italian food. The hostess was from New Jersey and her husband, the chef and his brother were Italian immigrants and decided to move here 31 years ago to open an Italian restaurant. The food was superb!


We started with Focaccia bread served with the traditional olive oil, balsamic vinegar and grated Parmesan for dipping which set the perfect mood for the food to come. I had the melon and Prosciutto for an appetizer which was the best Prosciutto I have ever eaten. I shared my melon and Prosciutto with the table, but I could order that for a lunch and be perfectly satisfied. Gerry had the green salad with a vinaigrette that he willingly shared a few bites for me.


My entree was Veal Marsala which had three generous pieces of veal smothered in a Marsala sauce loaded with mushrooms and was fabulous. The side for this was a perfectly al dente cooked pasta with slivers of barely cooked vegetables. The entire dish just melted in my mouth.



I ended the meal with a Cannoli which was one of the best I have ever eaten. I did share my cannoli with the table after a few bites since I felt I really had to share the treasure that was brought to the table.

This restaurant was a hidden gem and we really enjoyed the hostess named Gerry and got to meet her husband Tony and his brother Rosario. It was a very fun evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment