Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Grilling Extravaganza


I went to the Farmer's Market early in the morning and so dinner became a grilled extravaganza. I bought a couple of ears of corn which I soaked for an hour before they went on the grill for about 20 minutes. I bought some lovely small tomatoes which I cut in half and these were also grilled. A couple of slices of hearty Italian bread also got a quick flip on the grill. Since we had so much on the grill, I decided to roast green beans in the oven.

The star of the meal was a couple of rib-eye steaks that were simply seasoned with salt and pepper and grilled. Once they came off the grill they went onto a plate which was covered with olive oil mixed with fresh chopped mint and basil, minced garlic and grated orange peel, all seasoned of course with salt and pepper. The steaks were allowed 5 minutes of rest time on the olive oil combination, tented with foil to stay warm. They were flipped in the oil once before being plated. The steaks were served with some orange pickled shallots. I bought organic, grass-fed rib-eye steaks and I personally don't care for the flavor of grass-fed beef. I keep trying it every 6 months or so because I know it's better for you, but to me it is completely different in texture and flavor. I liked the olive oil flavor in the meat but really didn't care for the beef itself. I guess I prefer the corn-fed beef products that I have grown up with. I'll keep trying to convert myself.

We finished off our meal with fresh strawberries from the Farmer's market topped with freshly whipped cream just slightly sweetened.

No comments:

Post a Comment