Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Lemon Rosemary Chicken Souvlaki on Homemade Pitas with Tzatziki


I have been craving Greek food lately and even though I was by myself for dinner Tuesday night, I decided this was my menu. I started by making the pita bread dough which I chose to knead by hand today rather than use my mixer. Sometimes I just like to feel the dough change beneath my fingertips. While the dough was rising, I worked on the tzatziki so I could let the grated cucumbers drain. I move on to combining all the ingredients in the marinade for the chicken. This still left me spare time while waiting for my dough to double.

After the dough doubled in size, I punched it down, divided it into 8 pieces, rolled them into balls and let them rest for 20 minutes. I then proceeded to roll them out and bake them in a hot oven for about 5 minutes. It's really fun to watch these puff up as they bake. These came out wonderfully soft and tender.

I marinated my chicken for 20 minutes while I finished up the tzatziki and then grilled it and my dinner for one was ready. It was a fun way to fill up part of the afternoon and a very tasty dinner which satisfied my Greek food craving.



Lemon Rosemary Chicken Souvlaki
Adapted from Cook Like a Champion Blog

Juice of 1/2 large lemon, plus water to equal 1 cup liquid
Zest of 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh, chopped rosemary, plus a little more for sprinkling
1 boneless skinless chicken breast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small garlic clove, minced
Pinch of black pepper

Combine the lemon juice, water, zest, salt and rosemary in a small, microwave-safe bowl. Cook on high power for 1-2 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from microwave, stir until salt is dissolved, and allow to cool for 20 minutes.

Cut the chicken into large chunks and place it in a bowl or baking dish. Add the marinade, cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes. If using wooden skewers, prepare by soaking them in water for 30 minutes.

Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Remove chicken from the brine and toss with olive oil, garlic, and pepper. Skewer and sprinkle with additional rosemary. Cook, turning occasionally, until chicken is cooked through.

My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment