Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Blackberry Ice Cream

A couple of weeks ago when I made my blackberry jam, I ended up with a couple of extra containers of blackberries and since I also had extra heavy cream in the refrigerator, ice cream immediately came into mind. I did have to go out and get some half and half, but it was a small price to pay for such a delicious treat. I'm usually a pretty plain ice cream fan with some form of vanilla being my choice when we're out, but it's a whole different ballgame with homemade ice cream. This blackberry ice cream was so good, it has me dreaming about what other flavors I want to tackle next.



Blackberry Ice Cream (makes about 1 quart)
1 1/2 cups half-and half
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
4 large egg yolks
1 1/2 cups strained blackberry puree
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

Warm the half-and-half and sugar in a medium saucepan. Pour the cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer over the top.

In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.

Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream. Mix in the blackberry puree and lemon juice, then stir until cool over an ice bath.

Chill thoroughly in the refrigerator, but to preserve the fresh blackberry taste, churn the ice cream within 4 hours after making the mixture.


Adapted from The Perfect Scoop.

My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment