Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sloppy Janes

I turned to Sloppy Joes tonight, but I used ground turkey instead of ground sirloin and so called them Sloppy Janes. I thought this was one of the best Sloppy Joe recipes I have come across even though I used ground turkey. The taste and texture came out perfect. I served these on my homemade hamburger buns, which I had in the freezer and a Massaged Kale Salad with fresh diced mango, which rounded out our meal beautifully.



Sloppy Janes (serves 6)
Adapted from Skinnytaste.com

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 package ground turkey
1 tablespoon steak seasoning
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 carrot, minced
1 medium onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup red bell pepper, minced
4 ounces mushrooms, minced
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups tomato sauce

Place all the minced vegetables in a food processor and pulse to chop very finely. Set aside.

Brown the ground turkey in the olive oil over medium high heat. Break up the meat as it cooks until it is well crumbled. Season with steak seasoning and cook until it well browned. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.

Add the finely chopped vegetables from the food processor and reduce the heat to medium. Add the red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and stir to combine. Cover and reduce heat to simmer and cook for an additional 5 minutes.

Serve approximately 1/2 cup of meat on a toasted bun.


Our rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment