Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Apple Cream Streusel Pie

I know I haven't posted anything for a few days but it has been a little crazy around here. I watched my precious 16 month old grandson Ethan for the weekend since Emma was sick and we wanted to keep them apart. Ethan did have a bit of a cold already and we didn't want him to get worse. Since I was already a little under the weather with a sinus thing going on, I think I may have caught whatever he was struggling with. On top of all this, Gerry was attending a user conference and was gone Sunday through this morning basically. With this unique set of circumstances, cooking did not rate high on my priority list like it usually does.

I did make this pie last week and have not yet posted the recipe, so here it is. I used the 4 Fuji apples that were in my CSA bin and the pie was really good, but I should have baked it a little longer since the apples still had a little bite to them. I personally like my apples really tender so I would bake this longer next time.



Apple Cream Streusel Pie
Adapted from Sass and Veracity's blog

1 prebaked pie crust

Filling:
4 peeled, cored, & sliced Fuji apples (about 2 lbs.)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2-3/4 cup sour cream
1/4-1/2 cup mascarpone (the combination of the sour cream & the mascarpone should equal 1 cup)
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Streusel Topping:
6 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) chilled unsalted butter cut into small cubes
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Prepare the pie crust using desired recipe. While the crust is blind baked, slice the apples and toss in a large bowl with the lemon juice to prevent the fruit from discoloring.

In another bowl, combine the sour cream, mascarpone, egg, sugar, flour, vanilla, and salt until well combined. Add the apples and stir to coat evenly. Pour into cooled pie shell. Bake for 30 minutes until filling is set. You may want to place strips of foil on the crusts to prevent excessive browning.

While the pie is baking, prepare the streusel. Using a fork, mix flour and cold butter in a medium bowl. Add chopped pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon and mix well. When the pie is set, sprinkle streusel over the top and bake until it browns lightly about 10-15 minutes. Watch it to keep it from browning too much. Cool to room temperature before serving and store covered in the refrigerator.

My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment