Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Chicken Parmigiana Burgers

I knew I had to try this recipe since I love the simplicity of a burger in the summer and I absolutely crave Chicken Parmigiana periodically.  The start of this recipe came from Skinnytaste.com which is a blog I follow, however she used Trader Joe's already prepared chicken burgers.  I found a recipe on the Food Network to make my own seasoned chicken burgers which worked out very well.  I did make the Pomodoro Sauce recipe from Skinny Taste which was simply tasty.  I topped off the burgers with the Pomodoro sauce and shredded mozzarella which I melted on the burgers before placing the burgers on the buns.  I thought this recipe needed more seasoning with simple salt and pepper (or as my husband said - "I thought this would be spicier").  I have finally figured out that simply means more salt and pepper.  I have tried to make the adjustments with the seasoning in the recipe below.



Chicken Parmigiana Burgers
Makes 4 servings

4 chicken burgers (recipe follows)
4 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 cup pomodoro sauce (recipe follows)
4 rolls (I used Whole Wheat buns at 110 calories each)

For the Chicken Burgers
1 pound ground white meat chicken
2 cups coarse to fine fresh bread crumbs, divided (not canned)
1/2 cup low-fat milk
3 tablespoons grated sweet onion (or finely, finely minced)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoon coarse grained salt
Cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil

For the Pomodoro Sauce
2 (28-ounce cans imported crushed tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 large onion, finely chopped
1 cup carrots, finely chopped
1/2 cup fat free chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
 fresh basil
1/2 tablespoon sugar, optional

To make the burgers:
Be sure to use ground white meat chicken.  Use fresh bread crumbs.  It only takes a few extra minutes.  Remove crusts from good bread or don't remove the crusts, tear into chunks and pulse in a food processor. 

Place chicken in a mixing bowl.  Using a rubber spautla, fold in milk, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, onion, cayenne, salt and pepper.  The mixture will be very wet which means it will be a challenge forming it into patties, but forge ahead.  Place remaining 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs in another bowl or plate.  Divide chicken meat into 4 or 5 piles (you decide which portion size is best for you - I made 4) and using your hands, shape into patties.  Coat each patty with bread crumbs.  Heat olive oil in a large non-stick over medium heat and fry patties until golden and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.  Top with Pomodoro sauce and mozzarella cheese, cover pan and allow the cheese to melt (approximately 1 minute).  Serve immediately on buns.


To make the Pomodoro sauce:

Saute garlic in oil for a minute or so, add onions and carrots and saute on medium-low for about 4-5 minutes, until soft.  Add tomatoes, chicken broth and salt and pepper and simmer for 45 minutes on low.

Add fresh basil during last 10 minutes (herbs will become bitter if cooked more than 20 minutes).

Taste for acidity, if sauce is a bit tangy (acidic) then add the optional sugar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment