Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Chicken and Rice


Tonight I went back to an old favorite for dinner; Cumin-Dusted Chicken Breasts with Guacamole Sauce and Yellow Rice. The sweet and smoky rub on the chicken contrasts beautifully with the bit of spice in the guacamole sauce. This is a recipe that I found several years ago on the Cooking Light website and I printed it off, which is a good thing since I can no longer find it on their website. It is one of my favorite chicken recipes. The yellow rice is simply long-grain white rice cooked in chicken broth with some turmeric to give it the bright yellow color.

Cumin Dusted Chicken Breasts with Guacamole Sauce

For the Sauce:
1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne pepper)
1 avocado, seeded and coarsely mashed

For the Chicken:
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black peper
4 6-oz. chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
Olive Oil

Prepare the sauce by combining all ingredients and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

To prepare the chicken, combine the sugar, cumin, salt, and black pepper; sprinkle evenly over chicken. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with olive oil. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Turn chicken over. Place pan in oven; bake at 400 for 10 minutes or until done. Serve chicken with sauce.


Yellow Rice

2 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 cup long-grain white rice

Bring broth to a boil, add salt and turmeric. Stir in rice and cook according to package directions.


I started dinner tonight by making the sauce for the chicken and setting it aside. I then started the rice which took 15 minutes to cook once I added the rice. I allowed it to sit, covered for another 5 minutes when the timer went off. While the rice was simmering, I sauteed the chicken and then popped it in the oven once I flipped it.


This is a very easy dinner to pull together, it is relatively inexpensive, it seems to be pretty healthy and above all it is delicious.

I rate this meal:

No comments:

Post a Comment